Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Foreign-Thirteen dead amid California heavy rains and mudslides

Boulders block a road after a mudslide in Montecito, California.At least 13 people are dead amid "waist-deep" mudslides in Southern California, where heavy rains triggered flooding, say officials.

Some 163 people have been taken to hospital. Twenty had "storm-related injuries" and four were critically hurt.
A group of up to 300 people are reportedly trapped in Romero Canyon, east of Santa Barbara.

Police said the scene "looked like a World War One battlefield".
The flooding and mudslides, affecting areas scorched by wildfires last month, have shut down more than 30 miles (48km) of the main coastal highway.
Emergency services said a number of people are unaccounted for and they expect the death toll to rise.
Thousands fled the deluge and more than 50 rescues have been performed.
The hardest hit homes were those that were not in the evacuation zone, officials say.

Heavy rain run-off caused mudflow in the community of Montecito, where some homes were knocked from their foundations, said Santa Barbara County Fire Department spokesman Mike Eliason.
Boulders the size of small cars were rolling down hillsides and blocking roads, reports BBC News Los Angeles correspondent James Cook.
Among those taken to safety was a 14-year-old girl who had been trapped for hours in the ruins of her home.
The fire department published a picture of the girl encased in mud as she was led to safety.
County Fire Captain Dave Zaniboni said that five people were found dead on Tuesday in Montecito and may have been killed as result of the storm.
The upmarket neighbourhood includes homes owned by celebrities such as actor Rob Lowe and chat show host Ellen DeGeneres.
Oprah Winfrey also has a property in Montecito that is reportedly worth nearly $90m (£66m).
The US Coast Guard has sent "multiple airships to support rescue operations" and warn the public not to fly drones, otherwise the flights will force to be grounded.
Wildfires in December, including the Thomas Fire, swept through the area burning vegetation that helps prevent flooding and landslides.
Thousands of California residents were asked to evacuate on Monday for the second time in two months.
In Burbank, where waves of mud swept away vehicles, officials issued a mandatory evacuation order.
Homeowners in the area shared photos of mud in their homes.
Several roads are closed due to mudslides and debris, including the major thoroughfare Highway 101.
After a wildfire, burned vegetation and charred soil create a water repellent layer which blocks water absorption and leads to an increased risk of mudslides and floods.
"Recent burn areas will be especially vulnerable where dangerous mud and debris flows are possible," said the National Weather Service in a statement.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency shared a warning for California homeowners explaining that homes that had never flooded before were now at risk.
About 30,000 residents were under evacuation orders on Monday.
This comes after a record-setting year of $306bn (£226bn) of weather and climate-related disaster costs in the United States, the third warmest year on record, according to the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
The storm over California is expected to produce 4 inches to 7 inches (10 to 18 cm) in the foothills and 9in (23cm) in select areas.
Snow is falling at higher elevations, according to the National Weather Service.

Friends who last a lifetime

'Gataluwak Wisandema sandaha Oba piyawarak idiriyata gattenam eya  nawata kisiwitaka apassata noganna. Saba mithudamakadenam Obata labena awaSan ha Hondama awastewa meya Wiya hakiya"


Snow Strands Thousands Of Tourists In Switzerland

North Korea to send team to Winter Olympic Games


Image may contain: 2 people, people standing and outdoorNo automatic alt text available.Image may contain: 1 personImage may contain: one or more peopleImage may contain: one or more people and text

Angelo Mathews Has Been Appointed As The New Captain Of One Day And 20-20 International Teams

Image result for angelo mathewsThe former Sri Lankan Cricket Captain who stepped down from captaincy of all formats of Cricket last July following a series of defeats faced by the National Cricket Team has been today (09) re appointed as the new Sri Lankan Cricket Captain of One day and 20 -20 International Teams the Sri Lanka Cricket has announced .

According to the Sri Lanka Cricket ,Angelo Mathews has been appointed to captain  the Teams of short formats of Cricket as per proposed by Sri Lanka's new head coach Chandika Hathurusinghe .

Sri Lanka Cricket is currently implementing several long term and short term reforms in Sri Lanka Cricket under the leadership of Coach Hathurusinghe and the appointment of Mathews as the Captain of short formats of the game has been approved by the National Cricket Selection Committee as well  according to the Cricket Authorities .

A Chinese National Was Arrested With A Stock Of Red Sandalwood Timber Parts

Image result for arrestedA 22 year old Chinese National was arrested while illegally transporting 30 parts of an expensive Red Sandalwood Timber by a small Lorry at Boralesgamuwa area .

The Chinese National was arrested while transporting the parts of Red Sandalwood timber from Piliyandala to Colombo it has  been revealed.

The suspect is due to be produced before the Gangodawila Magistrate Court.

A Female Was Killed Due To A Wild Elephant Attack

Related image
A 55 year old female was killed due to a Wild Elephant attack in Karuwalagaswewa area last evening (08) 

The critically injured female was admitted to the Puttalam Hospital for treatment ,however she has pronounced .as dead on the admission.The deceased was attacked by the Wild Elephant while she was on the way to Chena with her husband it has been revealed.

Six Suspects Arrested Over Abduction And Dissapearence Of 11 Youth Were Released On Bail

The six suspects including the former Navy media spokesman Commodore D.K.P Dassanayake who were arrested and remanded over abduction and disappearance of 11 youth in 2008 at Wellawatte ,Colombo.have been released on  bail today(09) by the Colombo High Court.

Related imageThe suspects were released on  a personal bail of Rs.1 million each and a cash bail of Rs.100,000 each .

By granting bail to the suspects the Colombo High Court Judge Manilal Vaidyathialke has warned that if the suspects have influenced the eyewitnesses of the case or trying to influence the on going investigations over the charges against them the bail applications will be cancelled and they will be remanded again.

All the six inspects were ordered to appear before the Criminal Investigations Department on every Saturday .


Related image